(Cone Biopsy; Cervical Cone Biopsy)
Reasons for Procedure
|Cervix With Precancerous Growth|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Premature delivery with future pregnancies
- Scarring of the cervix
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
- You may have some bleeding or discharge from your vagina for several days postsurgery. A sanitary napkin or pad may be worn. Tampons should not be used for a month or more after the surgery.
- Sexual intercourse is discouraged for 4-6 weeks.
- Showers and baths are OK.
- Be sure to follow your doctor's instructions .
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever, chills, or smelly discharge from vagina
- Heavy vaginal bleeding (This may not occur until about one week after the operation, when the healing scar is shed from the cervix.)
- Abdominal or pelvic pain that worsens
National Cancer Institute http://www.cancer.gov/
National Cervical Cancer Coalition http://www.nccc-online.org/
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada (SOGC) http://www.sogc.org/
Women's Health Matters http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Management of abnormal cervical cytology and histology. Practice Bulletin. 2008;99.
Cervical Cancer: Surgery. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CervicalCancer/DetailedGuide/cervical-cancer-treating-surgery . Updated August 2010. Accessed November 18, 2010.
Fernandez-Montoli ME, Baldrick E, Mirapeix G, Gine-Martinez C. Conservative treatment in gynaecological cancer for fertility preservation. Cochrane Gynaecological Cancer Group. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews . 2010;(8).
Morris M, Mitchell MF, Silva EG, et al. Cervical conization as definitive therapy for early invasive squamous carcinoma of the cervix. Gynecol Oncol . 1993;51(2):193-6.
Stenchever MA. Comprehensive Gynecology . 4th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 2001:878-880.
6/3/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : Mills E, Eyawo O, Lockhart I, Kelly S, Wu P, Ebbert JO. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2011;124(2):144-154.e8.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -